Saturday, November 1, 2014

Abundant Activity



On Thursday, October 30, 2014, I was able to view my micro-aquarium for an extended period of time. After a rough week that included a death in the family that required out of state travel, and many missed lectures, this experience was a definite blessing in disguise. According to Dr. McFarland, on Friday October 24, 2014 a single pellet of Beta food was added to the aquarium. The pellets information is as follows,  "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland, 2014).
I could see quite clearly that there was much more activity among the smaller organisms, which allowed greater opportunities to study many different species in the aquarium. The added pellet seemed to invoke energy into the small community that was not as active in weeks past. I also would like to note that there seemed to be items that looked like egg sacks that I had not observed before, as well as certain organisms being friendlier with one another, possibly mating, but both would be hard pressed for someone with limited training in this field such as myself to prove, but was intriguing none the less, to investigate. Some of the life activities that I was able to observe, as well as share with you today, were caught on video. This video was an absolute accident, but I am glad that I hit that wrong button now, because I can visually share my experience with the readers of this blog. After trimming the video down from thirty-five minutes into less than two, I believe you will still be able to understand why I considered this time a blessing.
The video includes six different organisms that are thriving in this habitat. The first is a transparent rotifer called a Euchlanis sp.(Pennak, 1989, fig.2, pg.171). Next is an amazing creature that creates a type of water vortex that pulls other organisms into its mouth, this creature is called a Stentor sp. (Patterson, 1996, fig. 214, pg.107). Third, is a Halteria sp.(Patterson, 1996, fig. 304, pg. 139). If you watch the video closely, you will see it jump very quickly from the left side to the right. This is accomplished by a burst of stored water in a vacuole. The fourth thing you will see in the video is an amoeba called a Difflugia sp. (Patterson, 1996, fig.188, pg.96). I followed this interesting character for some time, and was amazed at how it redirected itself. The fifth species that I captured on film reminds me of a little dragon. It is called a Chaetonotus sp.(Pennak, 1989, fig.7, pg.165). It hid for the longest time behind vegetation, but my persistence paid off in the end. The last organism that you will be introduced to in this video is a Euplotes sp.(Patterson, 1996, fig.260, pg. 124). This one reminded me of a crab because of the way that it walks under water, as opposed to swimming.
This was a unique experience and I am looking forward to the next.





Bibliography:

McFarland, Kenneth [Internet] Botany 111 Fall 2014. [cited November 1, 2014]. Available from http://botany1112014.blogspot.com/

Patterson, David J. Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. New York: Wiley ;, 1996. 301.cited November 1, 2014. Print.

 Pennak, Robert W. Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States. 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1989.cited November 1, 2014. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment