Sunday, November 9, 2014

New Sightings

 Thursday, November 6, 2014 started out very slow for me. The anticipation of viewing the micro-aquarium once again was the driving force that finally got me up and going on this day. On Thursdays, I do not have classes but, I tend to use this time to view the aquarium. I was in a rush, but when I begin viewing the organisms on the screen, the world seems to slow down. I imagine this to be the way people feel when snorkeling around a coral reef. I would probably lose all sense of time and surroundings and get myself into trouble. New organisms where discovered on this day however and I would like to share them with you. The first organism I came across, which can be viewed in figure 1, was a Pinnularia sp.(Patterson, 1996, fig.6, pg.25). I had seen this organism in the past, but it wasn't active at all. On this day however, he was. The next organism I came across,figure 2 photo, was a Euglena sp., which has flagellum and a light sensing area, which was not visible during my viewing (Patterson, 1996, fig.120, pg.70). This organism was feasting on a algae that seems to possibly be creating a bloom. The last organism to be captured on camera, seen in figure 3, during my time on the microscope, is an Anisonema sp. (Patterson, 1996, fig.78, pg.54). This round mass continuously whipped his flagella around and was an amazing sight to behold.
Figure1: Pinnularia Sp.       James Creswell
Figure 2: Euglena sp.       James Creswell
Figure 3: Anisonema sp.        James Creswell


Bibliography:
 Patterson, David J. Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. New York: Wiley ;, 1996. 301.cited November 9, 2014. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment